1/ Vietnam Visa Exemptions
Nationals of certain countries may visit Vietnam without visa for a period of time, hereunder is the list of countries and regions that have visa exemption arrangements with Vietnam.
- Visa-free for 30 days: Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, and Singapore.
- Visa-free for 21 days: Philippines
- Visa-free for 15 days: Japan, South Korea, Denmark, Russian, Sweden, Norway, Finland, UK, France, Germany, Italy, Spain (*)
- Visa-free for 14 days: Brunei, Myanmar
If you are not from any of these countries or you want to visit Vietnam longer than authorized period of stay, please move to part 2 and 3 about Vietnam e-Visa and Visa on arrival.Exception:
· The visitors to Phu Quoc Island may stay without a visa for no more than 30 days. This visa waiver program is also applicable to those traveling to the island through any international ports of entry (air and sea).
· The holders of APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC) are granted visa-free access to Vietnam for no more than 60 days.
· The citizens of Armenia, Algeria, Argentina, Bangladesh, Brazil, Bulgaria, Chile, Colombia, Dominican, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, France, Hungary, India, Iraq, Japan, South Korea, Mexico, Myanmar, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Pakistan, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Russia, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovak, Slovenia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, UAE, Uruguay, Venezuela holding diplomatic or official passport may stay in Vietnam, visa free, for maximum of 90 days.
· The citizens of Angola, Azerbaijan, China, Croatia, Kazakhstan, Myanmar holding diplomatic or official passport are granted visa-free entry for 30 days
· The citizens of Afghanistan, Albania, Belarus, Cuba, North Korea, Nicaragua, Romania holding diplomatic or official passport are exempted a visa to Vietnam. The citizens of Uzbekistan holding diplomatic passport could stay in Vietnam for free visa for 60 days.
· The citizens of Czech, Estonia, Germany, France, Israel, Italy, Poland, Spain, and Switzerland holding diplomatic passport are granted 90 day stay without a visa in Vietnam.
· The citizens of Uzbekistan holding diplomatic passport are exempted a Vietnam visa for 60 days.
· The citizens of Iran are allowed to visit Vietnam without a visa for 1 month if holding diplomatic passport.
Note: whether you are required a visa or not, your passport should be valid for no less than 6 months prior to the trip or at least 1 month after visa expiry date and have at least 02 empty page left.
What is Vietnam e-visa?
An electronic visa (E-visa) is one of visa types issued to foreigners by Vietnamese Immigration Department via electronic system. It is the equivalent to a visa, but no stamp or label is placed in the passport.
- The e-Visa is a single entry visa.
- The e-Visa is valid for 30 days, from the proposed date of entry indicated during the application.
- e-Visa holders may remain in the Socialist Republic of Vietnam for a maximum of 30 consecutive days after the initial entry date.
- Once the first 30 days have passed, and renewal be needed it, e-Visa holders in Vietnam may be considered to grant new visa if being invited/guaranteed by authority/organization/individual in Vietnam in accordance with Law on foreigners’ entry into, exit from, transit through, residence in Vietnam.
- The applicant’s passport must be valid for at least 01 month after arrival to Vietnam and it must have at least two blank pages for the immigration and border control officer.
- Minors with their own passport must complete a full e-Visa application. Minors aged 14 and under included on their parent’s passport will have to be included on their parents e-Visa application.
- Applicants are required to carry a copy of their e-Visa at all times during their stay.
Outside Vietnam foreigners who want to enter Vietnam can personally apply for E-visa or through the inviting/guaranteeing agencies and organizations.
How much I have to pay for an e-Visa?
Pay E-visa fee (25 USD). Your application will be processed in 3 working days.
E-visa fee is paid via electronic payment gateway as prescribed by the Immigration Department. The fee will not be refunded if the application is refused.
What you need in advance to apply e-Visa?
- A digital passport photo. 4x6cm in size, within the last 01 year, straight face, without glasses. Both ears must be shown. The photo must be clear for identification. The photo must not be edited anyhow. The background must be white/bright. Photos on dark and/or decorated backgrounds will not be accepted.
- A digital scan of the passport photo page: Full page including photo, personal information and ICAO lines.. This can be in black and white or in color, but it must be clear. Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months at time of entry.
- A credit card to process the Visa fee.
There is many sites offer e-Visa services, here is the national web portal on immigration of Vietnam:
https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/web/guest/trang-chu-ttdtWhich eligible countries for e-Visa?Citizens from the 46 countries are eligible to apply online for Vietnam e-Visa.
1. ARG Argentina 2. ARM Armenia 3. AUS Australia 4. AZE Azerbaijan 5. BLR Belarus 6. BRN Bruney 7. BGR Bulgaria 8. CAN Canada 9. CHL Chile 10. CHN China (Not apply to Chinese e-passport holders) 11. COL Colombia 12. CUB Cuba 13. CZE Czech Republic 14. DNK Denmark 15. FIN Finland 16. FRA France 17. D Germany 18. GRC Greece 19. HUN Hungary 20. IND India 21. IRL Ireland 22. ITA Italy 23. JPN Japan 24. KAZ Kazakhstan 25. KOR Korea (South) 26. LUX Luxembourg 27. MNG Mongolia 28. MMR Myanmar 29. NLD Netherland 30. NZL New Zealand 31. NOR Norway 32. PAN Panama 33. PER Peru 34. PHL Philippines 35. POL Poland 36. ROU Romania 37. RUS Russia 38. SVK Slovakia 39. ESP Spain 40. SWE Sweden 41. TLS Timor Leste 42. ARE United Arab Emirates 43. GBR United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland 44. USA United States of America 45. URY Uruguay 46. VEN Venezuela
(*) Citizens from China must apply with a traditional passport. Chinese e-Passports cannot be used to apply for e-Visa.
Ports of Entry
e-Visas will be accepted at all of international airports in Vietnam, including the major hubs of Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi, Da Nang, Can Tho City, and Phu Quoc Island. Here is a complete list of eligible port of entry:
Airport: Tan Son Nhat International Airport (Ho Chi Minh City), Noi Bai International Airport (Ha Noi), Da Nang International Airport, Cam Ranh International Airport (Khanh Hoa), Can Tho International Airport, Phu Bai International Airport, Phu Quoc International Airport, Cat Bi International Airport.
Landport: Nam Can Landport, Song Tien Landport, Tinh Bien Landport, Xa Mat Landport, Mong Cai Landport, Moc Bai Landport, Lao Bao Landport, Ha Tien Landport, Huu Nghi Landport, Cau Treo Landport, Cha Lo Landport, Bo Y Landport, Lao Cai Landport.
Seaport: Ho Chi Minh City Seaport, Quy Nhon Seaport, Nha Trang Seaport, Hai Phong Seaport, Hon Gai Seaport, Da Nang Seaport, Vung Tau Seaport
3. Visa on arrival
What is visa on arrival?
It is a visa you can pick up at one of three Vietnam international airports (Noi Bai, Tan Son Nhat or Da Nang international airport) and you can only obtain it if you enter this country by air.
How to get visa on arrival?
Submit your visa application form to receive your visa approval letter. The Vietnamese Embassy does not issue these approval letters directly, but you can apply for them from a travel agency/visa service online.
Get visa approval letter via email (attached with entry and exit form)
• Print out the letter and the entry and exit form
• Fill out the entry and exit form
• Prepare 2 passport sized photos 4×6 cm and an amount of USD for stamping fee ($25 for 1 month or 3 months single entry visa; $50 for 1 month or 3 months multiple entries, $95 for 6 months multiple entries and $135 for 1 year multiple entries Visa)
• Put all above mentioned things along with your passport in a package, then show them to Immigration officer at Vietnam arrival airports. Remember to bring all visa documents with you till you get your passport stamped a visa at Vietnam’s airport.
Get your visa stapmed upon arrival.
When your arrive in 1 of 4 internation airports in Vietnam (Tan Son Nhat Airport in Ho Chi Minh or Saigon City, Cam Ranh Airport in Nha Trang City, Da Nang Airport in Da Nang City or Noi Bai Airport in Ha Noi Capital of Vietnam), you will go directly to “Vietnam Landing Visa Office” before enter the passport check and stamp.
At this place, you will show your passport, photos, form of any and exit, stamp fee to Vietnam Immigration staff. And they will issue you the true Visa sticker into your passport. After that come to the Passport check and get the stamp.
4/ Embassy issued Vietnam visa
If you’ve chosen Embassy issued you need to contact the Vietnam Embassy in your home country to find out exactly what they require and the cost. Obviously, fees vary from country to country.
If your residence is not near the Embassy, you have to post your passport to receive visa stamp. Once you have your passport with a Vietnam visa, you are good to go. There will be nothing more to pay on arrival in Vietnam. When you arrive, proceed directly to Immigration/ Passort control.
Here is the link to a list Vietnam Embassies:
Disclaimes: Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information is correct and up to date, there may be changes which we are not aware of.